Also known as Ribollita, this famous Tuscan bread soup makes for a healthy vegetarian dinner. Our version is made in the slow cooker so it’s super easy.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 1L (4 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- Bouquet garni (4 fresh or dried bay leaves, 4 fresh sprigs thyme, 2 fresh sprigs rosemary)
- 200g cavalo nero (Tuscan cabbage), stem removed, leaves shredded
- 2 thick slices Italian bread (pane di casa), lightly toasted, torn into chunks
- 40g (1/2cup) finely grated parmesan, (or vegetarian hard cheese) plus extra shaved, to serve
- 1 lemon, juiced, seated
- Finely chopped continental parsley, to serve
Set a 5L slow cooker to Browning. Heat oil. Cook onion, carrot and celery for 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, fennel and chilli. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato, beans, stock and bouquet garni. Season. Change cooker setting to High. Cover. Cook for 3-4 hours or until vegetables are almost tender.
Stir in cavalo nero, bread and parmesan. Cover and cook on High for 30 minutes or until soup has thickened slightly. Stir in lemon juice, to taste. Serve topped with parsley, lemon zest and extra parmesan.
RECIPE BY: Author: Miranda Payne Image credit: Vanessa Levis Publication: Taste Magazine