This cheesy slice keeps well making it the perfect cook-ahead lunch box filler. Serve it alongside a fresh autumn salad and you’ll have a meal that is not only delicious, but quick and easy to make, too!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, chopped
- 4 short-cut bacon rashers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g pkt microwavable long-grain rice
- 200g sweet potato, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets, chopped
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- 1 1/4 cups (150g) grated Devondale Colby Cheese
- 5 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs, lightly whisked
- Ground paprika, to serve (optional)
- Green salad, to serve
- Tomato chutney, to serve
Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a 16cm x 26cm (base measurement) slice pan with baking paper, allowing the 2 long sides to overhang.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and bacon, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until light golden. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 secs. Transfer to a large bowl. Set aside to cool slightly.
Heat the rice following packet directions. Add to the bacon mixture in the bowl with the sweet potato, broccoli, peas and 1 cup (120g) cheese. Stir until combined. Fold in the egg. Season.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, pressing down firmly. Smooth the surface. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Lightly sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
Bake for 30 mins or until set and golden brown. Set aside in the pan for 5 mins to cool slightly. Cut into pieces. Serve with salad and chutney.
Recipe by: Publication: Coles